Food Laboratory Accreditation Program (FoodLAP)
(ISO/IEC 17025 Accreditation)
Participation in the AIHA LAP Food Laboratory Accreditation Program (FoodLAP) announces your laboratory's promise to ensure quality results and demonstrates your commitment to sound data.
Establish your laboratory's technical competence and reliability in data with accreditation. Your customers are assured of accurate and indisputable calibration or measurement data.
Please review Policy Module 3 for more information before applying for AIHA LAP Accreditation Programs.
What is AIHA LAP's FoodLAP?
AIHA LAP's FoodLAP is a comprehensive food laboratory accreditation program for laboratories that perform tests on raw food products, finished food products, and food ingredients.
Accreditation is offered in these three critical areas:
- Microbiology (Yeast, Mold, Salmonella, Listeria, E. coli O157:H7, and Coliform, in various matrices such as meat or cereals)
- Chemistry (fat, moisture, protein, salt, sugars, dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins, in matrices of meat, cereal, dairy, and feeds)
- Residue Chemistry (pesticides, sulfonamides, nitrosamines, and toxic elements [lead, arsenic, mercury]) in matrices of meat, poultry products, and fruits and vegetables
Laboratories are encouraged to seek accreditation in one, two, or all three performance area offerings. For examples of the scope of testing applicable to this program please see Policy Module 2F. Laboratories must be enrolled in proficiency testing in order to be eligible for accreditation.
With the laboratory's permission, the proficiency testing results are submitted to the AIHA LAP from the proficiency testing providers used by the laboratories. Results are used to determine overall proficiency status to comply with the accreditation program requirements.
Who Should be Accredited?
Facilities that should consider FoodLAP:
- Commercial laboratories
- In-company laboratories
- State and local health laboratories
- Government laboratories performing food testing
- Federal laboratories
For more information on the FoodLAP Program, contact AIHA LAP, LLC at (703) 846-0736.